I am really bad at relaxing, but there are some activities that can make me feel more grounded and less stressed. I thought i’d share them with you, maybe they can help you too!
- Exercise – I hate it when people tell me that exercise helps, its meant to help for stress, anxiety, sleep and is meant to make you feel more awake….I have never found this! It usually just ends up making me feel hot, sweaty and gross. Don’t get me wrong I’m not against a bit of exercise but I do not claim to be a fitness buff. I have, however, recently bought two 2.5 kg weights and have been really enjoying using them. I have been doing squats, lifts and a mixture of the two. It may not sound like a lot but it has been really helping to make me feel more motivated when it comes to fitness as I can feel that they are working. I usually have a quick bath or shower afterwards to freshen up and I do tend to feel more chilled out.
- Reading – I am a big bookworm and getting lost in a good book is such a good feeling. It allows you those few moments to escape and it can help you to either fall asleep or feel more relaxed.
- Colouring and Dot-to-Dot – Just before the hype came up around adult colouring books I discovered Millie Marotta and her illustrations. I like that they’re a mix of intricate and simple designs which is useful as somedays the more intricate designs wind you up instead of calming you down and vice versa. In addition to this I have recently discovered Dot-to-Dot and can really get stuck into it as some of them require more concentration.
- Pamper – It may seem obvious but taking time out for yourself actually really helps to make you feel better both about yourself and make you feel more relaxed. A bit of bubble bath and your favourite bath and moisturising products can make you feel all clean and ready for bed! – Instant relaxation.
- Candles and Fairy Lights – I LOVE putting on my little lights, lighting a candle and just finding something chilling to do, either reading a book, listening to music or watching a tv programme (or YouTube!).
- Make a ‘Cosy Corner’ – One of my favourite things to do before bed! I like setting up my pillows, gathering my duvet and snuggling down. It instantly makes me feel a little more peaceful and helps me to start unwinding.
- Mood Music – I can often find a playlist on Apple music that really sets the mood in the evening, I like something thats similar to what gets played in a spa!
- Audio books – I love Audible and can often feel calmer if I focus on an audio book, however, I still always prefer to read the physical book so I usually get audio books that i’ve either read or ones that aren’t on the top of my list of books to buy.
So there we go! My top ways that I use to try and relax, I hope that some of you can use them to help. What do you do to relax?